Tuesday, May 4, 2010

within reach *

I once heard an artist say that her best inspiration came from within 50 ft of her house. I must admit- I sometimes find myself dreaming of a romantic country side or charming city scape, and neglect to remember all the little details that make my locale so delightful.
Yesterday, I decided to do a little creative exercise and captured some images from within 50 ft. of my door. I got a couple of new ideas for print patterns (which I will share soon), and enjoyed getting reacquainted with my little landscape. I'm thinking about expanding the project into a full-on neighborhood index, with sample collection, mapping, illustration, and perhaps some ethnography. The urban pioneer?

You might want to embark on an intimate expedition of your environment. After all, you never know what you might find in your own literal or metaphorical backyard.

1 comment: