Sunday, November 28, 2010

breakfast cookies


Seconds away from pouring myself a bowl of quaker oats this morning I spied a familiar recipe on the box. I then thought that there was perhaps no better way to continue my pattern of holiday overindulgence than cookies for breakfast. I'm not under the delusion that there is an acceptable "breakfast cookie," (I'm sure today's act of nutritional defiance would make my mother squirm) I simply think that if there were a moderately appropriate a.m. cookie it would be the oatmeal raisin. Am I on to something here?

Let me share with you my twist on this very simple recipe.

1 stick of butter
3/4 cup of sugar- brown,white, or a mix
1 egg
1/2 t. vanilla
3/4 cup flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt (I like to taste the salt in a cookie, I put a bit more and use Kosher)
1 1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 pecan halves

Combine and stir wet and dry ingredients in two separate bowls (save the oats, nuts and raisins aside). Slowly stir the contents of the dry bowl into the wet one, then fold in your oats, pecans and raisins. I've made these cookies with walnuts too, but since I had some left over pecans I used them. I think given the choice I'd go for the pecans again.
After refrigerating for about an hour, place spoonfuls of dough on greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 mins. at 350.

These treats are definitely some of my favorites, and I'm only mildly ashamed to admit that this batch might not see tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. My, those look good. Every time I bake cookies I end up eating one first thing in the morning... and for an after-work treat... and as dessert... and repeat, repeat, repeat until I've reach the bottom the plate. Hooray for breakfast cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are cookies for breakfast not a normal choice? then i guess the brownie i ate today for breakfast isnt right either...

    ReplyDelete